SHADYBOWL SPEEDWAY 2017 LATE MODEL RULES
IT IS UP TO YOU AS A DRIVER OR CAR OWNER TO FOLLOW THESE RULES AND COMPLY WITH THEM AT ALL TIMES AS WE (SHADYBOWL SPEEDWAY)
RESERVE THE RIGHT TO TECH ANY CAR AT ANY TIME ON THE PREMISES. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN PENALTIES/DISQUALIFICATIONS/LOSS OF POINTS AND MONEY. IF SOMETHING IS NOT LISTED HERE IN THE RULES DOES NOT MEAN IT'S LEGAL. PLEASE TALK TO THE TECH DEPARTMENT FOR ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS. RICKY YOUNG 937-260-3796
M.E.R.S. Outlaw Bodies
Wedge Body Cars must weigh a minimum 2850 lbs. Before feature 1 lb fuel burn of f per lap plus 5 lb lead way minimum 2810 after 35 lap feature
Left side weight maximum 58% Wheelbase 102”
Maximum body width 82” Maximum tread width measured at spindle height is 82” measured outside of tire to outside of tire.
OUTLAW BODY RULES CONSIST OF AS FOLLOWS:
Maximum of 82” over the front tires, steadily decreasing in width to a max. of 76” at the center of rear axle, then tapering to a maximum of 72” at the rear spoiler. Width measurement will be taken at the top of the body, above front end and rear wheels. Maximum of 82” is allowed at bottom of doors, between front and rear tires.
After-market nosepiece, to be mounted in conventional manner and have no more that 1 inch of belly built into face of nosepiece. Front over-hang may extend maximum of 45 inches from center of hub to tip of nose, including lip/splitter. Maximum width of lip is 4 inches. Nosepiece flare must not extend higher that top of fender.
** Any nosepiece that is flattened or smooth…Add 50 lbs. to right side weight.
Minimum 14” perpendicular to the ground, fully enclosed.
REAR HALO BAR
Measurement from bottom of 3 inch frame rail to top of rear roll bar is minimum 39 ½ inches, with ¼ inch tolerance. The measurement of front halo bar to be identical 39 ½ inches, with ¼ inch tolerance. Any material added to meet the measurement must meet the minimum roll cage specifications.
Measured from center of rear axle, 46” maximum to furthest point back, excluding bumper. Quarter panel to be perpendicular to the ground. Quarter panel minimum 8” from ground to bottom of panel.
Maximum of 6 1/2 ” high x 60” wide must be mounted in center of rear panel, made of clear material and flat. Bracing may be from front or rear. For front bracing, maximum of 3 supports, maximum of ¾” round tubing only. Rear bracing must be inset from sides of quarter panel a minimum of 3” on both sides. Maximum- 41 1/2 ” from ground to top of spoiler. No side panels/wings on spoiler.
Any continuous radius of elliptical shape resembling stock design, but may not come to a point. No V shapes or concave windows, must remain flat in the center. No tear drop style rear windows. Must have rear window brace, placed in center of window.
Minimum 38” long by 45” wide. ROOF HEIGHT: Minimum of 45” measured 10 inches back from windshield, no more than 2” drop permitted front to back in center of roof. Maximum drop side to side is 2 ½ inches. Maximum 102” measurement from front of roof to base of rear spoiler.
4” maximum, measured from front windshield post back to front of C pillar, plus 1 inch maximum side body radius. C pillar may taper inward no more than 9” from the edge of the body, at a point 52” forward of the base of rear spoiler. C pillar is to be made of aluminum in a shape resembling body style of cars nosepiece, may not be concave in any direction and at 30 degree maximum angle from vertical.
BODY PART(S) CLARIFICATION
Body to be mounted in conventional manner- no recessed body panel, vents, louvers, wrapped-in fenders, offset quarter panels, etc. No built-in vertical lips on any type body panel.
Wheel flare(s) cannot extend past sidewall of tire and cannot extend back past rear of tire, and can be no higher than actual quarter panel of fender.
REAR BUMPER HEIGHT
Maximum 12” from ground to bottom of bumper.
REAR DECK LID
Maximum 28” from base of rear window to base of rear spoiler. Deck lid must be removable or have access panel. Must remain near flat (side to side) bottom of rear window to spoiler.
Minimum of 12” by 22”. Driver must be able to get out of car on both sides with helmet on. No add-on pieces in window area. No boxing in of window area.
Full ABC Template Bodies
Chevrolet Impala SS
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Pontiac Grand Prix
**Must conform to all guidelines and measurements for ABC template bodies;
Wheelbase 102” Weight minimum 2750 lbs. Before feature 1 lb fuel burn off per lap plus 5 lb lead way minimum 2710 after 35 lap feautre
Left side weight up to 60% max.
Maximum body width 79 ½” Maximum tread width measured at spindle height is 78” measured outside of tire to outside of tire.
Stock appearing built body ( non full template)that measure the same as a full template body can use template guidelines
Wheelbase 102” Weight a minimum 2750 lbs. Before feature 1 lb fuel burn off per lap plus 5 lb lead way minimum 2710 after 35 lap feature
Left side weight a maximum of 60%
If car(non full template) is widened up to anything over 79 ½” body and tread width car must weight a minimum of 2850 lbs. with maximum of 58% left side weight.
Maximum body and track width up to 82” Maximum tread width measured at spindle height up to 82” measured outside of tire to outside of tire.
2. ONLY ABC (Approved Body Configuration)( full template) is allowed a 60 inch by 6 ½ inch spoiler.
3. Older template bodies with asphalt style nose and tail that are following ABC Template rules is allowed a 60 inch by 6 ½ inch spoiler. If body and track width is widened up to the 82” maximum, must run a 60” x 4” spoiler. If body width is left at a maximum of 79 ½” and track width is left at maximum of 78” , can run a 60” x 6 ½” spoiler
4. Built body must have rounded edges and meet these dimensions:
A) width of body at front & rear tires, up to a maximum of 79 ½(full template)up to 82” for widened body.
B) width of body at door skins, up to a maximum of 79 ½”(full template)up to 82” for widened body
C) flat spot on top of body at front windshield and rear window post, maximum 3 ½ inches.
D) flat spot on top of doors, maximum 4 inches
E) ground clearance immediately behind rear tires (must taper to tail piece), minimum 11 inches
F) height of rear quarter panels to ground, maximum 35 inches
G) height of roof to ground plane, minimum 45 inches (measured 10 inches behind front of roof)
H) side window opening, minimum 15 inches
I) center of front hub to nose, 46 inches
J) rear overhang, center of axle to base of spoiler, 47 inches
K) maximum width of spoiler (full template or widened body is 60”
L) rear window to base of spoiler, 23 ½ inches
M) spoiler height, maximum 6 1/2 inches.(full template) maximum 4” on widened body
5. Roof, nose, and tail piece must be same make and model.
6. Only ABC nose and tail piece and must be unaltered.
7. Windshield must be a minimum thickness of 1/8 inch thickness poly carbonate.
8. Side windows and back glass must be a minimum of .090 thickness of poly carbonate.
9. The maximum dimension for the vent window along the top of the door will be 12 inches and must go 90 degrees from the top of the door up to the A-post.
10. Deck lid must be flat with the quarter panels.
11. Body must not hang below the chassis.
12. Exhaust system must be safe and meet approval. If exhaust exits through the door, insulation must include an exhaust flange that is mounted flush to the door. Pipe must not protrude through door.
13. The air box between the nose and radiator may have no pieces wider than the radiator. No types of under-body air deflectors are allowed. All air for blowers or coolers in the engine compartment must be pulled from the nose or the radiator air box. Air may not be blown or forced onto the tire or bead…air may only be directed to the brake rotors.
14. All cars must have complete firewall, front and rear. Front firewall extending from the left side frame rail to the middle of the interior floorboard is required. It must extend under the driver including the foot pedal area and rear firewall directly behind the driver and must be at least 20-gauge steel. The remaining interior may be aluminum (.025"min.). Interior sheet metal beside driver must run no higher than from the seat cushion at an angle to the bottom of the window opening. Racing seat required, bolted/welded to chassis.
Tubular mild or Chromalloy steel fabricated frames are permitted. Main frame rails must be constructed of at least.095” tick mild or Chromalloy steel measuring at least 10” in perimeter. Stock front clip cars deduct 50 pounds from total weight. No tie downs/suspension/frame limiting devices of any kind track officials ruling is final
Full roll cage required, with four uprights at least 1.625" O.D. with .095" thickness, welded to main frame rails. Top of cage should form a box and follow the contour of the windshield in front and rear. Three door bars are required on driver side and two on passenger side. Door bars must run between front and rear roll cage posts and may not be inside frame rails. Gussets should be used where possible. Bars around driver must be padded. SFI spec 45.1 padding is required. Cages must be approved.
A. Any displacement factory produced engine with cast iron block and cast iron or aluminum heads permitted. Engine chassis and body manufacturer need not match. All engines can be mounted a maximum 4” setback for all bodies. Centerline of crankshaft must be a minimum of 10 ½" to ground plane. Carburetion limited to one US manufactured 4 barrel. Any stock or after-market replacement for stock distributor may be used. Multiple coil type ignition systems are not permitted. Ignition switch should have "on-off" positions marked and within reach of the driver. Dry sumps permitted. GM 604, Ford D347, or Dodge 958 crate motors, with 650 CFM Holley and 6300 rev limiting chip, may deduct 100 pounds.
B. All cars must have working starter and battery. All batteries must be securely mounted.
C. Fuel lines must be securely mounted and protected. Fuel lines running through the driver's compartment must be "Aeroquip" steel braided or equivalent. No electric fuel pumps permitted. Only straight gasoline or racing fuel is permitted. No nitro or alcohol.
D. Maximum 22 gallon SFI approved commercial type fuel cell bladder with foam insert required. Cell must be mounted in trunk area, between frame rails, with bottom of cell no lower than the bottom of the rear end center section. Cells must be secured by a frame work using a minimum of 1" square tubing. Rear protective bars strongly suggested.
Transmissions must have a minimum of two forward and reverse gears. All cars with a manual transmission must have a working, spring-actuated clutch. No hand clutches. Drive shafts must have at least one 360-degree safety strap/loop directly behind front universal joint.
Rack and pinion permitted. Made for racing upper and lower A-frames permitted. Made for racing steel spindles permitted. (unless using the approved coleman spindle) No tie downs/suspension limiting devices of any kind. Track officials ruling is final.
Must use standard track approved 3 link system, must be welded/bolted to housing tubes. Any other style is not allowed. No birdcages, multiple mounting points, wishbone, 4 link, or any active system is not allowed. No fifth coil permitid . rubber bushings or spring/shock actuated torque arms are permitted on rear suspension arms .no suspension limiting devices of any kind
Race track reserves ALL rights to approve/disapprove any system. Track officals ruling is final.
Floater rear ends required. Quick change rear ends are permitted. Locked only, full spool or mini spool. No posse traction units, no ratcheting rear ends. Such as Gleason, Goldtrack, or any other similar devices with other names are not permitted.
325 lbs. minimum
2 ¼ coil over style or single style 5 inch diameter. Must be steel. 1 spring per wheel. No stacked springs. No progressive rate. 1 spring rubber per spring.
OEM style or splined end style
325 lbs. maximum
2 ¼ coil over style or single spring style 5 inch diameter, Must be steel. 1 spring per wheel. No stacked springs. No progressive rate. 1 spring rubber per spring.
Any steel sealed non-adjustable, non-rebuildable. Split valve is allowed. No bump stops inside or out. No frame /suspension or shock limiting devices.
Aluminum threaded body, twin tube, non adjustable, No shrader valves, No valve stems of any type, split valving permitted, No bump stops—internal or external, Afco R-13-T or Pro or any equivalent shock.
*Altering/Changing of shocks.
-1st Offense--$250.00 fine plus cannot compete in following 4 races.
( Rain outs do not count). Loss of shock/shocks.
-2nd Offense--$1000.00 fine plus suspension of 1 year from date.
Track inspection equipment / system will be used. No appeal process.
15. Maximum 10" wheel width permitted. All wheels must be steel-racing type. Wheel lugs must be 5/8" min. Brakes must be in good working order on all four corners. Front and rear hubs may be replaced with heavy-duty after-market hubs.
16. Radiators must be mounted in front of the engine and have an over‑flow tank of no less than 2 quart capacity or have the over‑ow hose directed up into the windshield. Radiator mounting must not alter sheet metal. No Glycol based anti-freeze coolant permitted.
17. Painting must be presentable. Numbers must be at least 18" tall on both doors and 4" in upper right hand corner of windshield
18. No titanium or carbon fiber rotors or drive shafts.
19. No cockpit, driver adjustments, other than brake bias.
20. All cars (either body) will have a minimum 3" ride height.
RADIOS AND MIRRORS (NOT PERMITTED)
RACECEIVER IS MANDATORY. No Scanners. No other radios or cell phones allowed. Must use anytime on track.
No traction control devices, electronic or otherwise, will be permitted. Use of traction control will be cause for immediate disqualification and suspension from future racing activities.
MSD boxes will be mounted to the right of the driver and out of his reach.
Buy up to 8 (eight) new tires to start season. 1 new tire per night of racing.
No recaps, no altering of sidewalls, no softening or soaking of tires permitted.
Tires must durometer a minimum of 50 cold.
ALL TIRES WILL BE BRANDED!!!
OFFICIALS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ESTABLISH TIRE RULES, POLICIES, OR PROCEDURES AS DETERMINED BENEFICIAL.
STARTNG IN 2016 DRIVERS MUST START THE FEATURE ON THE TIRES THAT WERE QUALIFIED ON OR YOU WILL START THE TAIL FOR THE FEATURE. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE!
RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF DETERMINED BENEFICIAL TO RACING. ANY PART FOUND ILLEGAL WILL BE CONFISCATED BY TRACK OFFICIALS AND REMAIN TRACK PROPERTY.
****IF CAR IS FOUND ILLEGAL, DRIVER WILL LOSE ALL POINTS AND MONEY FOR THAT NIGHT!!!****
THESE RULES WILL TAKE EFFECT FOR THE 2016 SHADYBOWL SPEEDWAY SEASON
2017 LATE MODEL RULE AMENDMENTS
THESE ADMENDMENTS ONLY INCLUDE THE (OUTLAW BODIED) CARS FOR A WEIGHT REDUCTION AND REAR BUMPER UPDATE. PLEASE READ #6 & 7
1. TEMPLATE BODIED CARS MAY USE A DIFFERENT SPRING PACKAGE OTHER THAN THE SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SPRING RULES WITH A 35 LB. PENALTY (NO STACKED SPRINGS) BUMPS AND BUMP SPRINGS ALLOWED.
2. TEMPLATE BODIED CARS MAY USE A DIFFERENT SHOCK PACKAGE OTHER THAN THE SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SHOCKS WITH A 50 LB. PENALTY (NO CANISTER SHOCKS)
3. TEMPLATE BODIED CARS WITH A (LEGAL) CRATE ENGINE CAN WEIGH A MINIMUM OF 2650 LBS. WITH NON SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SPRINGS ADD 35 LBS. FOR A MINIMUM OF 2685. WITH NON SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SHOCKS ALSO ADD 50 LBS. FOR A MINIMUM OF 2735 LBS. “ONLY” A TEMPLATE BODIED CAR WITH A LEGAL CRATE ENGINE CAN RUN AN OPEN REAR END OR GLEASON, GOLD TRACK, ETC.
4. A TEMPLATE BODIED CAR WITH AN OPEN MOTOR (BUILT) USING SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SPRINGS AND SHOCKS CAN WEIGH A MINIMUM OF 2750 LBS. ADD 35 LBS. FOR NON SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SPRINGS, MINIMUM 2785 LBS. ADD 50 LBS. FOR NON SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SHOCKS, MINIMUM 2835 LBS.
5. ALL BUILT BODIED CARS (NON OUTLAW) WITH THE SPECIFIC SHADYBOWL SPRING AND SHOCK PACKAGE WILL WEIGH A MINIMUM OF 2800 LBS. WITH 59% LEFT SIDE WEIGHT. WITH 35 LB. SPRING PENALTY OR 50 LB. SHOCK PENALTY OR BOTH LEFT SIDE WEIGHT DROPS TO 58% WITH A MINIMUM WEIGHT OF 2835 LBS OR 2885 LBS.
6. ALL OUTLAW BODIED CARS MUST RUN A MINIMUM OF 1 ½ MAXIMUM OF 1 ¾ ROUND TUBE REAR BUMPER WITH THE ENDS TURNED IN AND CLOSED. NO I-BEAM OR SQUARE TUBE, OPEN END BUMPERS ALLOWED.
7. ALL OUTLAW BODIED CARS CAN WEIGH A MINIMUM OF 2825 LBS. AND A MAXIMUM 58% LEFT SIDE WEIGHT. OUTLAW BODIED CARS CAN ONLY RUN THE 2016 SHADYBOWL SPECIFIC SPRING AND SHOCK PACKAGE, AS WHAT IS PRINTED IN THE 2017 RULE BOOK.
8. ALL LATE MODELS AS OF NOW WILL RUN AMERICAN RACER EC-31 10” SLICKS.
9. WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ADJUST ANY RULES TO MAKE FOR FAIR COMPETITION.